Alfredo Queiroz Ribeiro was born in Mozambique in 1939. He studied sculpture at the Porto School of Fine Arts as well as ceramics and painting with his first solo exhibition taking place at the Divulgacao Gallery, in Porto in 1964. From 1970 to 1972 he studied sculpture at Saint Martin’s School of Art in London before moving to Liverpool in 1974 where he worked as Senior Lecturer at the Department of Sculpture at the Liverpool Polytechnic. Whilst in Liverpool he produced precise geometric abstract sculptures, serigraphies and lithographs. He died in Porto in 1974 and is remembered as a pioneering artist in the renovation of Portuguese sculpture.